Five tips for healthy eyes
We may take for granted our eyes, but good vision is a priceless asset we should protect. What steps can you take to protect your eyes?
Information gathered from National Eye Institute
- Have a comprehensive eye exam
- A comprehensive eye exam can help spot an eye disease in its early stages. Even if you think your eyes are healthy and vision is fine, having your eyes examined cannot hurt.
- Know your family's eye health history
- Since many eye diseases are hereditary, knowing your history will help you understand your risk for developing an eye condition.
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Fruits, vegetables, and fish high in omega-3 fatty acids have all been proven to help and maintain the health of your eyes. A balanced diet including these foods will go a long way.
- Wear protective eye wear
- The sun's ultraviolent rays can be very harmful to your eyes. That is why it is essential to wear sunglasses that protect you from UV-A and UV-B radiation.
- When playing sports, make sure to use safety glasses and goggles.
- Give your eyes a rest
- To avoid eyestrain, when focusing on one thing or working on a computer, make sure to give your eyes a short break often.